Monday, June 25, 2007

Oh, The Thinks You Can Think...

...when you're the honored recipient of one of these babies, a Thinking Bloggers Award.


Thank you, Tish, for including me in your list of five Thinking blogs. I'll try to continue to at least do a little thinking on an ongoing basis.

Here are my five Thinking Blog Awards:

1) Hit Coffee - Will Truman posts about his life and work, but every post is an essay on the human condition. Or something lofty like that. He used to work in Ut-...er, Deseret, a fictionally named Mormon state that bears no resemblance whatsoever to any other state fact or fiction no sir nope unh-unh... but he moved and is in the process of finding new ways to relate to live, love, wife, job and friends.

2) The Beast's Lair - Philip is a seminary student and former youth pastor from the Nashville area. He's the brother of my former college roommate, and recently got married. Like me he's an amusement park afficianado (he and his brother visit the Disney and Universal parks on a regular basis, so they're light-years ahead of me). Most importantly he blogs on religious and Christian issues and I enjoy his perspective. Interestingly I haven't met him in person since he was a high-school kid, visiting his brother when we were at UT. It's been fun seeing the bright, intelligent young man he's become.

3) Searching For Oz - Becky became a friend of mine through Michael when she lived in Hawaii. I've followed her move to Seattle and enjoyed watching her find some peace and contentment. Becky is a unique individual and has a large extended family and a new boyfriend that makes her happy, and that makes me happy. She loves movies and TV and enjoys commenting about them, and has a single gal's perspective that's very interesting and un-pretentious. I got to have lunch with her once when she was coming through town and I'm glad I met her.

4) Slacktivist - While I at least glance at all of Fred's posts, the one series I enjoy a great deal is his ongoing evisceration of the Left Behind series. The amazingly-yet-incomprehensibly popular apocalyptic saga has sold millions of copies while completely missing the mark Biblically, and Fred takes it page-by-page, exploring not only the textual and Biblical inaccuracies but its literary deficiencies as well. A lot of good insight, and his regular commentors are among the best I've read at discussing ideas and coming up with new ones.

5) Logtar - John hails from Columbia (Hail, Columbia!) and I enjoy reading his takes on American culture, his own heritage, and how they mix together. We've done a podcast interview before, and hope to do another very soon.


There are many other blogs I enjoy besides these and if I've left you off I apologize - but these are the main blogs that make me think. Some blogs make me feel comfortable, amused, challenged, informed and some just make me mad. All are enjoyable. One in particular I will be highlighting in a future post....

Congratulations to each of these blogs! Now it’s your turn to pass on the award. The rules are simple:

1. If, and only if, you get tagged, write a post with links to five blogs that make you think.

2. Link to this post so that people can easily find the exact origin of this meme.

3. Optional: Proudly display the “Thinking Blogger Award” with a link to the post that you wrote. Here is an alternate silver version if gold doesn’t fit your blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment