Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The Morning After

Whew. I'm glad that's over. Getting through a funeral is tough, but enduring a mass, nationwide funeral once every year is getting to be tedious.

I wish more had been made in the media of the lives of those that were taken, and not the deaths. Instead of so many solemn wreath-laying ceremonies, maybe play a cut from one of Rebecca Lee Koborie's albums? I don't know, maybe somewhere they did but I didn't see it.

I just think it's better the celebrate life instead of mourning death. That's one thing I appreciate about most Methodist funerals I've been to, especially one lately for a young mother of two high school and college age boys I went to recently. She had finally succumbed to a long battle with cancer and while the service was serious and melancholy, it had a warm glow of love and remembrance that celebrated the good things she did during her life. How she was a wonderful wife and mother and teacher, and friend to those who loved her. And all the positive contributions and influences she had on the people around her. That's what helps me heal, and I hope the 2996 Project has helped some people heal as well.

Incidentally, Dale, the creator of the 2996 Project apparently has contracted the flu, and is unemployed and has no health insurance at the moment. His wife had to take over the duties of running the site as well as their kids, dogs, cats, goldfish, etc, so any support you might want to throw their way would be appreciated.

Meanwhile I'm left a bit disappointed at one aspect of the project. I still hope a family member or friend of Rebecca Koborie will eventually contact me. It's almost the feeling of hosting an open house and nobody coming, so you've prepared a big spread but left waiting for guests that never arrive. I'm not talking about the other participants in the project, those who posted tributes and also visited other sites, or the folks who just visited to pay tribute. I'm hoping to connect with someone who knew her directly. But it still hasn't happened. Maybe it will - if anyone wants to get in touch with me, I'm at lasthome@gmail.com.

God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment