Tuesday, July 20, 2004

TV Tuesday

Week 18- Special Reports

*beep* *beep* *beep* We interrupt your normal TV viewing for this special report!!!

You guessed it, this week's topic, Special Report interruptions! *grin*

1. On a whole do you feel most Special Reports are really that special? Or are they simply annoying?

I feel they're very important, but only for the most life-changing events. Having a Special Report to alert us that so-and-so actor has died or whatever is a waste of time. That said, especially post-9/11 my heart hits my throat whenever I see one of those things...

2. What special report has effected you most? (IE: (9/11, Reagan being shot...etc)

Well, for several of the disasters, etc in my lifetime I wasn't at the TV at the moment it started (9/11 I was at work, Reagan shot/Challenger exploded when I was school). Probably the one I most remember was the beginning of the first Gulf War. I was in college and a number of us were sitting around the TV in the common room and watched the first bombs fly. Then we went outside and saw several groups of students marching up and down the street chanting.

I think I also remember the Special Report about the Berlin Wall falling.


3. Do you stay tuned in for Special Reports or do you reach for the remote?

Absolutely, unless it's something I can read about later.

~Bonus~ Not exactly a special report but more on special coverage. What are your thoughts on some of the "Special Coverage" spots that have hit TV lately? One that comes to mind for me is the 24 hour a day coverage of Ronald Reagan's body laying in state at the White House. Something we needed to see or just plain morbid?

Well, that may depend on your politics on whether Reagan deserved that kind of attention. Will Carter or Ford get the week-long tribute? Doubtful. But if it's actual news events (coverage of a live, breaking event) I don't mind it as much as endless talk, talk, talk by the pundits.

No comments:

Post a Comment