Thursday, July 15, 2004

Theatre Thursday

Week 9 - Robots

This week sees the opening of the film adaptation of Isaac Asimov's classic "I, Robot" starring Will Smith.

1) Who or what is your favorite movie robot?

I'm going to bypass the obvious choices here (C-3PO, Data) and go with Robin Williams' Bicentennial Man. I saw this film on video a couple of years ago and the story of Andrew's gaining of human emotions, and struggling to gain his rights as a person, was charming.

2) Will we ever see the day where walking, talking robots truly become a part of every day life?

I think so. There are some robots today that have finally been invented that can walk upright. Once the price becomes affordable and their brains become efficient enough to solve all the little problems that come up (and if their software's NOT made by Microsoft) it will probably happen.

3) Should a robot ever be programmed to kill a human?

In other words, should robots ever be used as soldiers or police? I don't know, that's a good question (especially since I made the question up myself). Obviously using mechanics as soldiers greatly reduces battlefield deaths, but what happens if they malfunction? That's the big question. Plus there's the age-old question whether humanity loses its revulsion for war when there's no real risk to its people.

BONUS) If you had a personal robot, what would you call it? What would you like it to do for you?

I'll call it anything if it will empty the litterbox and mow my yard ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment