Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Freedom Before We Promised

Just a thought on the Iraqi power transfer...

From Iraq the Model:
"Then suddenly Mr. Bremer appeared on TV reading his last speech before he left Iraq. I approached the TV to listen carefully to the speech, as I expected it to be difficult in the midst of all that noise. To my surprise everyone stopped what they were doing and started watching as attentively as I was.

...

I was deeply moved by this great man’s words but I couldn’t prevent myself from watching the effect of his words on my friends who some of them were anti-Americans and some were skeptic, although some of them have always shared my optimism. I found that they were touched even more deeply than I was.

...

Another friend approached me. This one was not religious but he was one of the conspiracy theory believers. He put his hands on my shoulders and said smiling, “I must admit that I’m beginning to believe in what you’ve been telling us for months and I’m beginning to have faith in America. I never thought that they will hand us sovereignty in time. These people have shown that they keep their promises.”"

Reading this, it just occurs to me that another reason for the bumped up time-table might have been to show the Iraqis (and the world) that not only were we committed to keeping our word, we would surprise everyone and do it sooner than expected. Better than hoped. True freedom before we promised it.

No comments:

Post a Comment