Thursday, July 21, 2005

Bless You, Scotty..

A great story about everyone's favorite engineer.
" The marketing people at Alesis needed a concept for their updated ADAT digital multitrack recorder -- the recording industry standard in the '90s. Since their new product was an advanced engineering technology, I came up with the wacky idea of using a "Famous Engineer from the Future" who traveled back in time to help today's musicians and keep them from messing up their recordings by using inferior audio technology. Who better to tell the story than the best engineer I (or anyone else) ever knew?

I had a blast writing the script and it got instantly approved by the powers-that-be at Alesis. I can still see the dropped jaws of the real digital engineers around the conference table when I presented the idea. "You don't think we could actually get Scotty, do you?" I sent the script off to James Doohan's manager Steve Stevens who approved it, sent it to James and, next thing you know... showtime."

No comments:

Post a Comment