Monday, October 24, 2005

Casual Curiosity

Casual Curiosity

Instructions: Give your opinion on each of the 5 subjects below. What do you think about...

# the use of corsets

Infinitely uncomfortable and ultimately dangerous to a lady's health, but from a male's perspective...um, yes. Thank you.
PIRATE: I'm going to teach you the meaning of pain...
ELIZABETH SWANN: You like pain? [hits pirate in the head with a pole] Try wearing a corset.

-- "Pirates of the Caribbean"

# Star Wars, the movie

I'm assuming we're talking about "Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope" here. Which, given that I can give the full title, should tell you something about how I feel about the movie... Quite simply my favorite movie and set of movies of all time. I could go on and on, but I won't.


# the possibility of a bird flu epidemic

Scares the crap out of me, but somehow I don't see it happening any more than the big SARS epidimic that was supposed to sweep the planet ever did. It first has to mutate from a animal-human transmission to human-human transmission, and while many scientists believe it's inevitable well...so do those that think another huge terrorist attack is inevitable. And neither have happened yet. So I'm a bit comforted by that thought, and the thought that our medical technology is better in this country than most of the rest of the world. We were supposed to have a huge flu outbreak last winter, assisted in part by the shortage of flu shots and due to increased awareness and personal vigilence I believe the season was even less serious than it would have been with the flu shots...


# actor Kelsey Grammer ("Frasier")

There have been some people that tell me I resemble Kelsey Grammer in some ways. Umm...maybe. We have about the same hairline, which I conveniently hide under a baseball hat fairly often. I like him, I think Frasier became a one-note character more or less, but after seeing him in other roles I enjoy things he does. He has a warmth when he gets serious that's compelling.


# Horror fiction

Stephen King is a master, and writes a level of horror fiction that rises into a separate level above all other horror writers, including Dean Koontz, etc. "The Dark Tower" series, while not specifically "Horror" was a masterwork and his other novels, novellas and short stories continue to set the unattainable goal of quality writing in this area.

No comments:

Post a Comment