Monday, October 31, 2005

All the State's a Stage

Back from TTA. Don't click on the link - no, don't!!! It's not current. A lot of changes were made to the board of directors over the weekend, and yours theatrically has yet to make the changes.

A weekend with theatre people is an interesting experience. While you may have your own images from personal experiences of "theatre" people, there are few groups of professionals that are nicer, friendlier or more outgoing than those who have either dedicated their lives or a substantial portion of their lives to the stage. And you'll also find a wide variety of interests and experiences in all aspects of life. Most obvious is the range of skills exhibited by everyone - directing, acting, lighting, sets, costumes, producing...everyone has a niche of some sort (except me, who does a little of everything and nothing good of any one thing) which makes conversations interesting.

I saw several great shows presented, one being Moliere's The Misanthrope by Austin Peay State University. Another which I can't praise highly enough was Servant of Two Masters by Knoxville's own Pellissippi State Technical College.

I also was privileged to see some outstanding high school productions being presented, including Exonerated and Oh, What a Lovely War, which will be going on to compete at SETC in March.

Theatre is a life of contacts, and knowing the right people can be very important at different stages of your career. I've been fortunate in that my time involved in TTA has allowed me to meet and become acquainted with a number of theatre professionals across the state (and across the country) which has opened up several new doors for me to music direct. I met several more folks this weekend that, if I'm lucky, might allow me to do some directing, acting and possibly some drama instruction. Which is great, because it's what I love to do.

If I could direct or manage a theatre full time, and make enough money to keep supporting my family, I'd do it in a heartbeat. That's what I love, and I love the people that I get to work with. Maybe someday that opportunity will come my way.

Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment