Monday, March 21, 2005

The Book Tag

Looks like Uncle Mike's tagged me, so here I go - answering questions about books. Before I start, know that I am a total literature novice. I've never read Catcher in the Rye, or Wuthering Heights or Great Expectations, or even Tom Sawyer or Huck Finn. I haven't read To Kill a Mockingbird or A Tale of Two Cities or...


You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?

In high school, the literary bane of my existence was William Faulkner. I just could not get him. We read about Sarty and the Snopes family, and Burning Barns and all that. It just would not resonate with me - so I'd be willing to toss Faulkner's entire work on the fire....except one.

The Sound and the Fury, which I read my senior year, was one of the best books I ever read. Go figure.



Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?

Interesting question - maybe Iola Morton of the Hardy Boys books (she was Joe Hardy's girl. Spunky and exciting, not cool and sophisticated like that iceburg Callie Shaw...

More recently, I like Annie Laurance from Carolyn G. Hart's Death on Demand series - she owns a mystery bookstore in South Carolina.

And in media....How about Jamie Buchman from Mad About You? Not Helen Hunt, particularly, but Jamie.



The last book you bought is:

I bought several Stephen White books at the used book store recently: The Program and Higher Authority for instance. But the last real weighty hardback I bought, I believe, was The Dark Tower by Stephen King.


The last book you read:

To Reign in Hell: The Exile of Khan Noonien Singh


What are you currently reading?

Airframe by Michael Crichton. This is about Mr. Crichton's last chance with me. The last couple stories of his I read (Prey, The Terminal Man, and even Timeless were pretty bad. So far Airframe is pretty good. We'll see).


Five books you would take to a deserted island.

1. The Bible
2. Robert Heinlein's Tunnel in the Sky
3. Stephen King's Insomnia
4. The Sound and the Fury
and, for the practical side of myself:
5. The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook



Who are you going to pass this stick to (3 persons) and why?
Let's see - how about:
1. Hatamaran, because she needs some good literary distraction right now.
2. Cathy of Domestic Psychology, because Girl Scout Cookies sometimes aren't enough
3. New mom-to-be Misty of Seductive Kisses, cause maybe it'll keep her mind off being nauseous.

No comments:

Post a Comment