Wednesday, January 22, 2003

Who am I? Who am I? I'm Jean Valjean!

Who am I? Ok, I wanted to stretch a bit and get away from appearing in everyone else's comments sections and create my own blog. Here it is and, presumably, you are reading this entry. I don't pretend to believe people are going to come back to read my random musings on whatever subject strikes my fancy, so I need some kind of niche. What niches are out there that need...er, niching? Let's see...

Poliblogger - Plenty of those out there like Lean Left, covering politics from every possible angle. I'm not sure, being rather politically naive myself, that I could add much substantial on a regular basis.

Warblogger - Little Green Footballs has this covered pretty well, and since on any given day I range from "Idiotarian/Peace Warrior" to "Patriot Hawk/Warmonger" (according to Wildmonk's Iraqi War Personality Test) I'm not sure this would be a good place to hang my M16.

Econoblogger - more unfamiliar territory. I can balance a checkbook, and that's about it. I have opinions about things like trickle-down theory, income tax, lotteries, but wouldn't be giving any kind of real informed analysis so let's move on.

Familyblogger - This is James Lileks territory, and he can burp out a Bleat better than I could if I spent two months trying to match his style and skill. Still, my family is the most important thing to me and they have a wealth of things to teach me that I can pass on for your amusement and amazement, so this is a possibility.

World Events Blogger - Glenn Reynolds. Instapundit. Ye Gods, when would I eat? When would I sleep?

General Interest Blogger - This is most everyone else except for those with very specialized blogs, such as Oz's Lion (who's filming a movie and providing commentary. Hey guys, need some help with an experienced theatrical professional? Holler at me). South Knox Bubba, Say Uncle and others in the Rocky Top Brigade cover a number of different topics across the political and social spectrum with wit and insight.

So that leaves me back where I started - in what corner of the Blogeration do I settle and peddle my wares to the unsuspecting public?

Well, the old advice given to those who wish to write the Great American Novel: "Write what you know". So I guess that's what I'll do - I'll write what I know. I'll write about that which I feel passionate and enjoy, plus feel qualified to expound upon: my children, theatre, science fiction, television, fair play, kindness, computers, the internet, religion, music, 70's children's TV shows, Fountain City, Knoxville, Star Wars action figures, Carnival Cruises, rollercoasters, "24", Walt Disney, empathy, male pattern baldness, Tennessee Vols/Titans/Riverhawks football, sex, "The Dead Zone", parenting, and the correct intermix ration for a warp drive (1:1 for those of you scoring at home).

Makes sense now. I guess the moral of the story is you don't necessarily have to write to your audience - write from your heart and hopefully you, Gentle Reader, will enjoy reading it as much as I did writing it. I thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment