Sunday night, as you've all heard, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers defeated the Oakland Raiders 48-21 in Super Bowl XXX-something-odd.
- Tampa Bay intercepted NFL MVP Rich Gannon and ran 3 of them back for touchdowns, including one with 2 seconds left in the game. They also sacked Gannon 5 times
- Raider and Best-NFL-Player-Ever Jerry Rice didn't have a catch until near the end of the third quarter.
- All-Pro Oakland starting center Barrett Robbins was kept out of the game for missing Saturday's team activities, and according to some sources, is or was in a San Diego hospital. Sounds like he had too big of a party Friday night...
- Canadian Celine Dion sang "God Bless America". My heart swelled.
- This years commercials overall were probably the worst set since "Super Bowl Commercials" became synonymous with innovative and memorable. Very few laughs, very few moments to talk about the next day at work. The only ones that come to mind as being decent were a Michael Jordan meets Michael Jordan meets Michael Jordan Nike (I guess?) spot, and an Anheiser-Busch "Football Playing Horses" which sent up referees checking instant reply, but ruined itself by revealing the referee as an actual zebra much too soon. (Note to Busch: Comedy is 10% material and 90% timing. Please write it down. Also 10% wackiness). The worst spot was the guy who choked on beef jerky and his friend dislodged it by slamming on the brakes of his unmemorable car, thus propelling the offending substance onto the windshield. Please. Bad form, folks... Also, there were a slew of ads hawking upcoming movies. Am I the only one in the world that thinks "The Matrix" is the most overrated movie in recent history? The ad for its new sequels, "Matrix Reloaded and Revolution" (or something like that) racked up some extreme cheese points. "T3: Rise of the Machines" was underwhelming, "Bad Boys 2" continues to prove the utter senselessness of Martin Lawrence's career, and "The Hulk" looks like something ILM did in their spare time. Bruce Willis' "Tears of the Sun" looks promising, however. (Side note: What with "Daredevil", "The Hulk", "The Matrices", and "X-Men 2" all coming out this year, look for the geek quotient to rise exponentially at your local multiplex. This differs markedly from the "Star Wars"/"Star Trek" fanboy quotient, since these are, of course, God's Movies). But I digress...
More Commercial Commentary:
Jay of The Daily Rant rants about one of the anti-drug commercials.
Newest Rocky Top Brigadier Donald of One Hand Clapping has a similar opinion regarding the ads.
And, of course, James Lileks gives his brief reviews of the commercials.
- Please someone tell me ex-UT Running Back/now Raider Charlie Garner didn't say "University of Untouchable" or something when he was introduced on the Bucs first offensive series? And what the heck did Oakland Raider DB and official UT Nemesis Charles Woodson say instead of University of Michigan? Are these guys just trying to prove they're idiots? (psst..it's working)
As for the Titans, my only consolation is that if they had somehow not fumbled twice at the end of the first half last week and somehow beaten Oakland to advance to the Super Bowl, today's final score would have likely been 58-3. Hmmm, sounds like another Tennessee team I know...