Thursday, October 14, 2004

Theatre Thursday

Week 21 - Movie-Going Habits

So you're going to the movies. We know all about which ones you like, which ones you don't like, your criticisms, your raves, your rants....

Eh. Let's get to the real stuff. What are your movie-going habits?

1) Do you go to the movies alone or with friends/family? Do you know exactly what movie you're going to see before you get there, or do you stand for 30 minutes outside the box office trying to decide between Pauly Shore and Meryl Streep?

Occasionally I'll take in a late-night movie by myself after the family's in bed, but usually we all go together to something the kids can see, or my wife and I will go. We always know exactly what we're goigng to see. I remember when I used to work box office for a theatre and having to wait (im)patiently while patrons actually stood, slack-jawed, staring up at the movie list deciding what the heck they came there for...

2) When you go to the movies, do you usually buy:
a) Popcorn? What do you put on it?
b) Cokes? What's your favorite?
c) Candy? What gets stuck most in your teeth?
d) Other (hot dog, nachos, sushi)?

Even if I've just had a meal, I almost always get popcorn. With butter. And that cool orange seasoning salt they have - now one theatre in town has four different flavors. How cool is that? I'll usually get a coke, too, but most likely a fruit punch or something non-carbonated. No candy. It's been a long time since I've eaten anything else.

3) Do you like it load and raucous in the theatre, or do you immediately stuff crying babies in the nearest waste can? Do you talk back to the screen and interact with the movie, or do you sink way down in your seat and just experience it?

<greatandpowerfuloz>THERE WILL BE SILENCE!!!!</greatandpowerfuloz>

Seriously, I hate when people talk out loud during the movies, but natural whispering is to be expected. I love to just experience a movie and lose myself in it...


BONUS) What's your favorite, most memorable movie-going experience? What experience almost (or maybe did) make you vow never to darken the door of a cineplex again?

My very first ever viewing of Star Wars: May 24, 1977, the old defunct Cedar Bluff Theatre. My friend won tickets to a day-before-opening screening when I was 10. We got there early, beat the line, got to the very front of the crowd and when they dropped the ropes I was the first one in and raced down to the exact center of the theatre and sat down. My world hasn't been the same since :)

Remember, silence all cell phones, pagers, and electronic devices while answering this quiz. And NO SMOKING!!! (water gun effect)

No comments:

Post a Comment