Thursday, May 27, 2004

Theatre Thursday

Week 2 - Trilogies.

Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King has officially hit the stores this week (I bought the first copy at my local Borders yesterday). Trilogies have been popular in the movies for years. This week we look at questions based on some famous cinematic triumvarites:

1) The Back to the Future Trilogy sent Marty McFly 30 years into the future, 30 years into the past (twice!) and 100 years into the past. Which of these time periods would you like to visit in your 1.21 gigawatt-powered DeLorean, and why?

I think I'd like to visit 30 years into the future to make sure we make it out of today in one piece.

2) The Lord of the Rings Trilogy was, of course, based on a famous trio of novels by JRR Tolkien. What sci-fi/fantasy/genre novels or series would you like to see turned into a Peter-Jackson-directed/George-Lucas-written/Steven-Speilberg-produced trilogy?

The Dragonlance Series of novels is an excellent fantasy series that comes in two ready-to-produce trilogies. IMHO, they are better than Lord of the Rings, but that's just me. No, actually, they really are better.

3) Next summer, there will be two complete Star Wars trilogies in the history books. What's your strangest or most interesting Star Wars experience?

Probably one of my best experiences is I was the first person into the theatre for the first showing of the original Star Wars the day before it opened in Knoxville back in 1977. A friend of mine and I won tickets on the radio to a preview showing they held the day before the grand opening, and he and I wormed our way to the front of the line to get into the theatre. When the ropes dropped I sprinted into the theatre first and got the best seat ;) I was 9.

Bonus) While the Jurassic Park and Indiana Jones movies are currently only trilogies, plans are in the works for a fourth movie in both series. What trilogy might've been better served with a fourth movie? Which trilogy would've been better if they had left it at only one movie?

Can't think of a trilogy that needs another movie, but the one that should've stayed at one is easy: The Matrix.

That's it till next time! Be sure to leave your name and blog address in the Comments when you've answered the questions.

And remember, as the Terminator said in the first part of his famous trilogy, "I'll be back."

No comments:

Post a Comment