Sunday, June 19, 2005

...And the AdventureCon-tinues

Brainyboy and I visited AdventureCon 2005 today. We went last year and had a blast...

This year?

Eh.

AdventureCon is an annual cards, comics and collectibles convention that's been going on for several years now. I don't usually go to these things anymore, but last year was fun and we thought we'd give it a try.

The guests were so-so. Adam "Batman" West, Lou "Incredible Hulk" Ferrigno, Robert "Freddy Krueger" Englund, Jason "Shazam" Bostwick and John "Gimli" Rhys-Davies were there signing autographs. It was fun to actually see them in person - Ferrigno is still a Hulk - but unless you want to stand in line forever and actually have a reason to talk to them, that's pretty much all there is. Well, poor Jason Bostwick - there were hardly any folks there to see him... I guess not that many people were affected very profoundly by "Shazam". Kenny "R2-D2" Baker and Donna "Elly Mae" Douglas were supposed to be there, but were no-shows at the time we were there.

I find it difficult to imagine walking up to one of these people and striking up a conversation. What in the world could you talk about that they don't hear a hundred times anyway? I do hear they like it if you talk about seeing them in some obscure part they did somewhere, but...I mean, if you know that much about them, you should probably find more hobbies.

Star Wars toys were everywhere. I mean everywhere - and surprisingly, not a ton of "Revenge of the Sith" stuff. Mostly Episode I and II, with a lot of Original Trilogy things thrown in. Brainyboy racked up on a couple of things he'd been wanting that were in the $3-$4-$5 bargain boxes, so he was happy. But seriously, I like Star Wars as much as any fan (well...as much as any fan who actually has a life outside of this setting) but after the 10th consecutive booth offering the same old crap...well, you know, enough. There wasn't nearly enough Trek stuff, though. Guess there's a bit of a bias.

Those, and the fact we had to pay $8 each to get in were my only quibbles. BB had a great time, and that's all I can ask for :)

No comments:

Post a Comment