Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Confessions of a Salty Mind II

A couple years ago, not long after The Inn opened, I commiserated with you about my nasty, nasty habit. I eat too many potato chips.

I gave up potato chips, tortilla chips, cheetos, cheese curls, cheese crunchies, cheesy poofs and Funyons for Lent in 2003. I made it, too. Not only was it good for my body, it was good for my soul.

Last year at this time I was getting ready to travel to Florida for an out-of-town music directing job, so I knew it would be very difficult to make sure I had enough to snack on eat. Therefore I chose not to pursue a Lenten decision at that time.

This year is different - I'm home with no major plans and no excuses. I'm doing it again. Starting today, Wednesday, February 9, 2005 I can have no more chips until Easter. That's about 47 days. 47 l-o-o-o-n-g days.

But that's not all. I'm thinking of taking this one step further. I'm thinking of giving up caffeine as well. I know it would do my body good to cut back on it - the only hitch is this afternoon I have a consult with a Sleep Physician to figure out if I have a sleep apnea.

Yes, I snore. And apparently, quite loudly. Laura says I have several episodes at night where I apparently stop breathing for a few moments, then restart breathing rather explosively. So after a number of months of cajoling, I'm going to investigate it.

What does this have to do with cutting out caffeine for a month and a half? Well, you know what effect caffeine has on the body, and I'm afraid if I suddenly cease intake, it will disrupt my normal patterns and interfere with the sleep study. So I'll ask the doc today what he thinks - if he doesn't believe it will make a difference, I'll start the caffeine tomorrow.

I realize that you don't give up certain things for Lent just for diet or physical enhancement - that it's a personal covenant between yourself and God, and a character test. However, there's nothing wrong with killing two birds with one stone, hm?

I'll be chronicling the Sleep study in the blog, as it will likely require I stay the night at a Sleep Clinic for observation. I'll be napping with the electrodes on my head, as my brain turns to mush. Well, that happens every day so it shouldn't be much different.

So, here we go again. Goodbye, Lays. So long, Ruffles. Manana, Munchos.

*sigh*

There's always crackers....

No comments:

Post a Comment