Friday, February 11, 2005

Friday's Feast



Feast Thirty-Five

Appetizer - What do you want for Valentine's Day?

All I really want is some quality quality time with my wife. Free from sick kids, work, school, church... Dinner, movie...whatever.

Soup - If you could change the color of something you own, what would it be and which color would you make it?

I love green, and my car is a kind of lightish green...but I'm a bit over it. I'd love to get a new one, or paint it something else. What other things do people own that are specific colors? Their hair? Their house?

Salad - What's your favorite day of the week and why?

For some reason my favorite day's always been Thursday. I don't know why - I think at one time all the good TV shows came on Thursday or something.

Main Course - What excuse do you use most often?

Ok, so you're going to force me to say it. All right... the worst excuse I use is that it was somebody else's fault. "Well, if they'd just been more on top of things and given me the material sooner, the project wouldn't have been late" (disregarding the amount of time I procrastinated on it).

Dessert - Name something or someone you feel sorry for.

I feel sorry for people that are so stuck in tradition, or pride, or cowed by those with stronger wills that they are unable to clearly think through issues and make clear, reasoned decisions for themselves.

I'm guilty of it myself, sometimes.

These past two years have seen intense partisan debates on a multitude of topics: war, terror, presidents, economy... the battle lines are clearly drawn. But so many people on both sides are where they are simply because: a) They always have been, just like their parents were and everyone they know, b) I made this choice a long time ago and to suddenly change my mind and adopt a different viewpoint would put my intelligence or judgment into question, or c) all the cool kids are doing it, and it feels good.

No comments:

Post a Comment