Friday, June 27, 2003

The Twilight Zone

It's Friday, 8:35 am....

No new Bleat.

No new Instapundit.

The children wander alone, lost in the wilderness. Alone, bereft, starved for their daily input.

Whatever shall we do...whatever shall we do?

Looks like somebody has to take up the slack!




FRI! Another sunny day in the great historic state of Minnesota. Jasperwood seems lively with just the sound of Gnat running around, saying cute and funny things. She walked up to me earlier and said, "Dadda. Want worl pees!" "Equil rites - all peeples - gooood!". I think we have a budding statesperson in our midst, if she can just stop pulling Jasper's tail.

I watched an obscure 50-year-old black-and-white Sci-Fi film on DVD last night and was stunned by the clarity of it. I also tried to Tivo "E.R" but the connections to my system have gone bad - have to go to Target tomorrow for replacement parts. That Target has everything.

Spent another 3 hours piecing together my home movies on the iPod. We'll be heading over to the Apple store, too, while we're out. Gnat wants to try her hand at hacking into the CIA mainframe from the store.

I hear how downtown Minneapolis is preparing to demolish that old building, the one that was built in the 1920's out of asbestos, sheet rock and bits of string. I'll need to remember to pick up some chains at Target so I can attach myself to the building. It's a one of a kind, and there will never be anymore like it. If I can remember the name, that would make the experience complete.

I've added more matchbooks, more obscure recipes - heck, I've added the entire Google database to the site. Enjoy!

Oh, look - the latest Apple catalog just came in the mail. I think I can get a couple of other parts from the Apple store to permanantly hard-wire my mind to the computer, and Bleat by telepathy! Whoda thunk it...

How cute...Gnat just invented warp drive! That scamp. Combine that with the cure for SARS she came up with last week, and she will surely have a bright future. More tomorrow, after I correct her matter-antimatter imbalance.



Plus....



Thurmond dead at 100

Former Republican Sen. J. Strom Thurmond of South Carolina, the longest-serving member of the upper house of Congress, died Thursday at the age of 100.
Indeed. (posted at 08:37 AM by Glenn Reynolds)

House, Senate Pass Medicare Bill

In a victory for President Bush, both houses of Congress (search) approved sweeping Medicare (search) legislation early Friday to give seniors a prescription drug benefit while creating a broad new role for private insurance in the government-run program.
Heh.

UPDATE: Indeed. (posted at 08:36 AM by Glenn Reynolds)

'Miracle heart pill' for all

Everyone over 55 should take a 'miracle pill' which could cut their risk of having a heart attack or a stroke by 80%, researchers say.
The pill would combine aspirin, a cholesterol lowering drug, three blood pressure lowering drugs and folic acid.

Patients would have to have an initial check-up from a doctor before they were prescribed the pill.

It is estimated one in three people could gain up to 20 years of life without a heart attack or stroke through taking it.

A 'polypill' should never be a licence for people to lead unhealthy lifestyles

Sir Charles George, British Heart Foundation
The pill could cost less than a pound a day, and cause minimal side effects.
As they say, read the whole thing. (posted at 08:35 AM by Glenn Reynolds)

Volunteer Tailgate Party is Online

Be sure to take a look at this stunningly crafted, magnificently compiled artistic example of investigative journalism I've ever seen.

Sorry I missed this one last week - and from my own blogger collective! (posted at 08:34 AM by Glenn Reynolds)



There - isn't that better?