Thursday, February 20, 2003

February Sky - Redux

A couple of weeks ago, I wrote a piece wondering if today's kids were still being inspired in outer space like Homer Hickam and his friends did 50 years ago.

Now it looks like, thanks to terrorists and Homeland Security, it may be more difficult than ever to get the parts to build model rockets. UPS and maybe soon FedEx will stop shipping solid rocket motors in order to comply with the "Safe Explosives Act" embedded in the Homeland Securities Act.

So is my point moot? I don't think so, because I wanted to urge parents to encourage their kids to dream. Dream about the stars, dreams about the ocean, dream about affordable health care or tort reform, it doesn't matter. Just please, help your children find the will to want to change the world. It may be more difficult now to do it with model rockets, but there are other ways - in science, in medicine, in the arts, in anything.

And I think Homer would approve.

Thanks to Instapundit for calling this to my attention. Also, Andrew at Pathetic Earthlings has some further comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment