Friday, September 01, 2006

Friday's Feast

Friday's Feast

Friday, September 01, 2006 - Feast One Hundred & Nine

Appetizer - What are some lyrics you have misheard (such as, instead of "Gettin' Jiggy With It" you heard "Kick a chicken with it")?

I can't think of any misheard lyrics at the moment, but for years and years I thought the song "Afternoon Delight" was about a couple getting together on a picnic blanket on the hillside watching fireworks on a nice afternoon. It never occured to me to ask why they'd be watching fireworks in the middle of the day.

"Oh, that's what an afternoon delight is...



Soup - What is the worst movie you have ever seen?

Repeat - Oh boy.. well, for years the worst movie I'd ever seen was "The Stuff" with Michael Moriarty. I don't remember much about it, but it came out during the time I worked as an usher at a movie theatre, and several of us would stay late to watch movies. I watched more movies during those 2-1/2 years or so than I have since. The reason I remember that one being bad was a) Michael Moriarty's horrible, horrible dead-pan performance. I can't stand to watch him in anything now - I turn the channel if I happen across an old Law and Order rerun... and 2) every of my coworkers panned it as well, and we made fun of it the rest of the year.

Of more modern movies...there was the late-night Target caper "Career Opportunities" - yes, you know the one with Jennifer Connely riding the mechanical kid's horse after hours...in the department store...with the tight, tight tank top shirt.....(sorry, mind wandered there for a second). I went to see it with Laura at the theatre and actually paid full price for it. We were expecting something a little more..cerebral. I was actually uncomfortable watching the horse-riding scene, with my wife sitting next to me, because it's so blatantly sensual I almost felt I needed to wash my hands afterwards. Anyway, the movie itself was written by John Hughes in a desperate attempt to find another Home Alone success. Bzzzzzt.



Salad - Using the letters from your favorite number, write a sentence. Example: Tomorrow has really easy experiences.

Fire is very exciting.


Main Course - What was the most interesting news story you have heard this week?

If by "interesting" you mean "idiotic" it's the decision to demote Pluto from the rank of planets. I devoted some considerable attention to this one.

I think it's fine that scientists want to nail down the definition of a planet. I think it's fine to debate what the scientific vs. cultural definition of a planet. But we've all grown up with 9 planets in the solar system. If you want to add more, add more. But don't take away a constant mininum that's been part of our lives since the first science class.



Dessert - Which word(s) would you choose to describe your wardrobe?

Brown. I have a very brown wardrobe. My pants are mostly all different shades of khaki, and a number of my shirts are different shades of tan or brown. I basically mix and match the opposite shades on different days. I have a few color shirts I wear from time to time, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment