21 ThingsYet Another Meme:
1. Which political party do you typically agree with?
2. Which political party do you typically vote for?
3. List the last five presidents that you voted for?
2000 - Gore
1996 - Clinton
1992 - Clinton
I am not ashamed of any of those choices.
4. Which party do you think is smarter about the economy?
Considering neither opposition party lets the other get anything started, who knows? I don't profess to know much about global economics anyway, so I have no real idea.
5. Which party do you think is smarter about domestic affairs?
Democrat, in that their policies are typically geared toward empowering society whereas Republican policies are generally geared toward empowering the individual. There's nothing inherently wrong with empowering individuals, certainly, but it often comes at the expense of the former.
6. Do you think we should keep our troops in Iraq or pull them out?
Keep them until Iraq is stable enough to leave behind a functioning government and a trustworthy peace-keeping force.
7. Who, or what country, do you think is most responsible for 9/11?
Well, Osama Bin Laden (or whoever in Al Qaeda made the final "GO" decision for the mission).
8. Do you think we will find weapons of mass destruction in Iraq?
I think we'll eventually find evidence of where they are, or were, which will put to rest any questions. I personally have believed from the start that they were trucked to Syria.
9. Yes or no, should the U.S. legalize marijuana?
10. Do you think the republicans stole the last presidential election?
I think they did everything they could to capitalize from a huge logistical foul-up, and those who happened to be in charge that could steer things their way, did. If the governor of Florida had been Democrat, Al Gore likely would be president now.
This doesn't mean anyone did anything illegal, or that there was any kind of preplanned conspiracy. It just means circumstances fell in such a way that those who could, did.
11. Do you think bill Clinton should have been impeached because of what he did with Monica Lewinski?
12. Do you think Hillary Clinton would make a good president?
If she were given the true respect a president should have, who knows. Maybe. She seems to be a smart, tough, no-nonsense kind of person. But from eight years of Democratic president experience and almost four years of Republican president experience, it's doubtful any president in the modern era will be able to govern effectively without having to worry about constant, unrelenting political opposition.
Compared to, say a turnip? Oh, you mean Pat Robertson?
13. Name a current democrat who would make a great president:
Well, I'd still like to see what kind of president Al Gore would have made if he started in January 2001. However, with the current Democratic mindset against the war, I don't think anyone would make a good president right now, unless they could think for themselves. And Gore has shown in the past year that he can't, which is a shame. I do have a lot of respect for Tennessee's governor, Phil Bredesen. I hope he continues his political career beyond the state level sometime in the future.
Ok, I'll go with David Palmer. Well, before this season of 24, at least. How the might have fallen....
14. Name a current republican who would make a great president:
Can't think of one.
I actually don't think we will have another "great president" until one takes office that is apolitical, or a centrist. Like that's going to happen anytime soon.
15. Do you think that women should have the right to have an abortion?
Not touching this one - nope, nope, nope.
16. What religion are you?
Christian, United Methodist.
17. Have you read the Bible all the way through?
Not all the way through, but many passages.
18. What’s your favorite book?
When I was a kid, my favorite book for a long time was "Tunnel in the Sky" by Robert Heinlein.
Nowadays, I read so many sci-fi, mystery and suspense books it's difficult for any to stand out on their own. I enjoyed The Da Vinci Code for its puzzles and plotting, but it was nowhere near a "favorite" book.
19. Who is your favorite band?
20. Who do you think you'll vote for president in the next election?
That's the big question. I don't know, and probably won't decide until I get into the booth. Let's just say John Kerry has a l-o-o-o-o-o-o-n-g way to go before he can win my confidence as the leader of our country. The fact that we're still alive 2-1/2 years after 9/11 leans me toward Bush by default although I despise him. I guess I will be voting for a philosophy and a mindset more than a man.
21. What website did you see this on first?