Wednesday, August 27, 2003

It Might Be! It Could Be!

Cubs' days as lovable losers are over

"Their young starting pitching is that good, their farm system that deep, their resources that vast. New manager Dusty Baker is rapidly eroding a tradition of failure that dates back nearly a century. General manager Jim Hendry, who took over little more than a year ago, is showing the moxie necessary to shake a franchise out of its doldrums. Put it all together, and Cardinals GM Walt Jocketty says of the Cubs, "They're always going to be there."
When Knoxville cable first starting carrying WGN-TV from Chicago lo these many moons ago, I stopped watching the Braves and started following the Cubs. Jody Davis, the Sarge: Gary Matthews, Ron Cey, Shawon Dunston, Rick Sutcliffe, Andre Dawson and of course Harry Carey and Steve Stone were great ways to pass the time after school. I remember my favorite game that I saw - I don't remember who they were playing, but they came back from an 8-run deficit with a 9-run 9th inning to win it. Thrilling.

While since then I've returned to the Braves as my favorite team, the Cubbies still hold a special place for me in the Baseball pantheon. Looks like they're doing well this year, and could progress in the playoffs.

Plus, I just wanted to remind everyone of my prediction I made on opening day (lest you forget).

Oh, and Kevin thinks this may be a sign of the End Times. Let's hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment