Thursday, September 20, 2007

Music in My Ears


Next week my wife and I will be winging down to Orlando (for free!) and spending a week park-hopping for our 15th Anniversary. We plan to spend two days at the Disney Parks, and also have a 7-day pass for the Universal parks so our days and evenings will be quite busy :)

Flying on the new Allegiant Air, they still seem to be getting some kinks out. A month or two ago we were notified second-hand (through an emailed updated itinerary) that our departing flight had been canceled and we'd been bumped to a later one that day. After some discussion we decided to actually book a flight out the night before.

Hey, an extra whole day! I'm not arguing with that...

Of course, what that meant is we needed to find someplace to stay that extra first night since our lodging reservations were already set in stone. So we chose to stay one night at one of the value Disney Resorts, the Pop Century (official site). For those unfamiliar with Disney resorts, this one is themed to each of the last 5 decades - in other words, there's a 50's section, a 60's section, a 70's, 80's and 90's. Each is festooned (there's really no better word) with various pop icons and other kitschy details. It's great :)

Anyway, I called this morning to make our reservation for the one night. I'm talking to the cast member in Reservations on the phone (her name was Norann - very nice lady) and she's taking down all my numbers and information, etc. We're about to finish the reservation when she needs to put me on hold for a minute. I said fine.

So I'm on hold. In my ear the song, "Out There" from Hunchback of Notre Dame is playing. This is one of my favorite Disney songs, so I'm singing along...

Out there, Where they all live unaware
What I'd give
What I'd dare
Just to live one day out there

Out there among the millers and the weavers and their wives
Through the roofs and gables I can see them
Ev'ry day they shout and scold and go about their lives
Heedless of the gift it is to be them
If I was in their skin
I'd treasure ev'ry instant


And I'm just singing along, having a great time. And I realize the music's stopped..

Norann says, "Hi - wow, you were just singing along weren't you?"

I'm a bit embarrassed, but hey, I have a nice voice - maybe it was an audition?

I tell her I really like that song and just got lost in the moment. She said she was glad I did, and it brought a smile to her face. I replied that I was happy to oblige ;)

We completed the reservation and that was that.

I wish now that I'd asked her if it got me a discount...

No comments:

Post a Comment