Monday, April 03, 2006

Friday's Feast

(Just got back from NYC - full report and theatre reviews later - here's a meme to mark that we're still alive)

Friday's Feast

Friday, March 31, 2006 - Feast Eighty-Seven

Appetizer - Name 3 things that you think are strange.

1) This guy: the Leafy Sea Dragon. These poor fish are way too strange-looking to exist in nature - I suspect they are alien transplants or genetic experiments gone horribly wrong. Possibly both...

2) The designated hitter rule in baseball. Possibly the single worst major rule in modern professional sports. Why, why, why?? It's very weird that it was ever invented, and ever stuck around.


3) The fact that Dr. Who is on the air and Star Trek is not. (Sorry, Michael but even you have to admit that...)

4) Ok, #3 was a friendly jab at Michael. What's really weird is that the UT football team dramatically underachieved this year and the UT men's basketball team dramatically overachieved.


Soup - What was the last ceremony you attended?

Technically speaking, it was the awards ceremony this past Saturday for the choral competition we went to New York for. Other than that it was the wedding of a long-time friend of my family. I grew up with her son in Fountain City, and she just got remarried after all these years.


Salad - What is one lesson you have learned in the past year?

That I have to make the changes for myself in my life. Actually, I haven't quite learned that lesson yet, but I've learned that I need to learn it. Does that make sense? All the professional (both job and theatre) changes that I'd like to make are not going to just fall into my lap like they always have, but I need to go out and work for them. I realize this is true, I just have a hard time putting it into practice...



Main Course - Tell us about one of your childhood memories.

So many...here's one I haven't related in a while - my first (and only other) trip to NYC. I went in between my junior and senior years in high school with my drama department. We flew up, which was also my first time in an airplane. I dimly recall visiting Chinatown, the Statue of Liberty, Sarty's and Macy's. We saw Evita, Amadeus (only 6 months removed from Mark Hamill playing the title role, dangit), and a comedy mystery called Whodunit with Fred Gwynne of The Munsters. I recall being struck by how clean the city was, but don't recall much else.


Dessert - If you could extend any of the four seasons to be twice as long as normal, which season would you want to lengthen?

This answer changes a lot over time - I can definitely rule out winter. I think the easiest answer would be summer because I love hot days, warm nights, late daylight and summer sports. But there are moments in spring and fall that I wish would last forever - the cool damp spring mornings when all the flowers really start blooming, and those crisp warm autumn days during football season. If you can bottle those, I'll take them.

No comments:

Post a Comment