Thursday, December 07, 2006

Hierarchy of Needs

I've never seen this - what do you think of its use or value?

Maslow's hierarchy of needs

Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs is a theory in psychology that...contends that as humans meet 'basic needs', they seek to satisfy successively 'higher needs' that occupy a set hierarchy. .

Maslow's hierarchy of needs is often depicted as a pyramid consisting of five levels: the four lower levels are grouped together as deficiency needs associated with physiological needs, while the top level is termed growth needs associated with psychological needs. While deficiency needs must be met, growth needs are continually shaping behaviour. The basic concept is that the higher needs in this hierarchy only come into focus once all the needs that are lower down in the pyramid are mainly or entirely satisfied. Growth forces create upward movement in the hierarchy, whereas regressive forces push prepotent needs further down the hierarchy.
I found it very interesting to examine the levels of needs and use it as a guide to see what holds one back in life.

Based on my previous post, I see one notable area of deficiency - The Esteem level. At least in my work, I have a need for self-esteem, confidence, achievement and respect by others. I do not think it has affected my respect of others in a base way, except where circumstances have cause others to fade in my estimation of their professionalism.

I notice other areas scattered throughout the pyramids I feel lacking in as well.

I wonder, though at the Self-Actualization at the top - I don't feel a loss of creativity, though it's possible I just don't recognize it. It will take some thought to consider the other areas of Self-Actualization I have lost sight of while waiting for the baser needs to be met.

As I said, it's an interesting map to better understand oneself. Where do you feel some of your own basic needs are being unmet, and how does that affect your life and how you live it?

(Hat tip: Michael Williams)

No comments:

Post a Comment